Industry 4.0: Majority of IT experts see German industry lagging behind in digitalisation,2023/04/14
- eco Survey: 83.7 per cent of IT experts believe that the German industry is in a worse position than its international competitors
- 55 per cent complain about bureaucratic hurdles in digitalisation projects in German industry
- Joint stand ‘Plattform Industrie 4.0’ with Gaia-X and GXFS at Hannover Messe 2023 in Hall 8, Stand D26
As the world’s leading industrial trade fair, this year’s Hannover Messe 2023 will focus on the theme of “Industrial Transformation”. However, 83.7 per cent of IT experts in Germany agree that German industry is in a worse position than its international competitors when it comes to digitalisation. On the occasion of the Hannover Messe, which will take place from 17 to 24 April, the market and opinion research institute Civey surveyed 250 experts from the IT industry on behalf of eco – Association of the Internet Industry. According to the survey, only 3.9 per cent see the German industry to in a better digital position than its international competitors, while 10.9 per cent neither agreed nor disagreed. Bureaucratic hurdles (55.2 per cent), a lack of know-how (53.2 per cent) and data protection requirements (48.2 per cent) are seen to be among the major challenges for the digitalisation of German industry. The shortage of skilled workers is also seen to play a major role, amounting to 48.2 per cent.
“German industry is at risk of losing out internationally when it comes to digitalisation,” says Oliver Süme, Chair of the Board of the eco Association. “We now need the courage to rely on data ecosystems like Gaia-X, which enable sovereign and secure exchange of data among all stakeholders involved.” Gaia-X enables companies to benefit from full sovereignty and control over their growing data volumes by linking data ecosystems and infrastructure ecosystems. The result is a transparent and open system based on European standards, in which all participants can decide independently which platforms and cloud resources to use to collaborate with partners.
- Concrete business models based on data ecosystems
- A toolbox for designing powerful data ecosystems for industry will be presented by Gaia-X Federation Services (GXFS) at the Hannover Messe in Hall 8, Stand D26. Visitors will find the joint stand ‘Plattform Industrie 4.0’, where various sub-exhibitors will demonstrate their solutions and products, including the Gaia-X Hub Deutschland and the Gaia-X European Association for Data and Cloud AISBL.
Visitors can experience practical examples based on research projects and concrete business models on 21 April from 10:55 a.m. in Hall 8, Stand D17. Under the title “Gaia-X: Federated Data Infrastructures as a Lever for the Digitalisation of European Industry”, GXFS, Gaia-X and the Gaia-X Hub Deutschland will host a panel. Andreas Weiss from the eco Association and Peter Kraemer from Gaia-X Hub Deutschland will be among those discussing the topic. In addition, the GXFS sub-exhibitor stand will host a live demo showing interested parties how to operate in the Gaia-X ecosystem.
The focal points of Hannover Messe 2023 include energy management and Industry 4.0. Gaia-X supports the necessary digital transformation in companies by strengthening the data-based collaboration of companies in dynamic value creation networks. This helps to optimise services and develop new business models. To tap into this potential, Gaia-X Federation Services (GXFS) offers a toolbox for building Gaia-X federations.
- All information on the eco presentation at the Hannover Messe
- Download graphic “Do you think German industry is in a better or worse position in terms of digitalisation in an international comparison?”
- Download graphic “Where do you see the major challenges for the digitalisation of German industry?”